Friday, July 18, 2008

Meta-Text

The list of 10 I posted to the general blog sums it up pretty well, but going more in depth with my own pieces, I specifically learned that I have a tendency to overwrite. My impulse for variety goes into overdrive (I blame the children's book Grover Visits the Everything in the World Museum, but that's another story) at times and my writing gets dragged down.

I also learned that I must ration my use of adverbs and adjectives, which at times is heavy-handed. Thank you, Stephen King. I am now at least aware of the dependency and will not go cold turkey, but will limit my usage in the future.

I learned that writing is DIFFICULT - it cuts to the bone, to quote a cliche. But most wonderfully I learned that I LOVE this work. I can sit for hours and get lost in it - like a wonderful old friend.

I learned that my writing is rich in sensory detail, and it sometimes sounds good.

I learned that writing and editing are like breathing, sometimes easy, sometimes labored, always amazing.

I learned that I am grateful, alive, and open. I need to watch and listen.

Finally, I learned that if the writing doesn't pan out, I can always take my Annie Dillard imitation on the road. Oh, the possibilities...

THANK YOU AMY AND MARY ALICE. This is the most amazing writing class experience I ever had. Every day was a gift, every moment a joy.

THANK YOU TO THE CLASS. You are all amazing individuals, and I leave so enriched.

1 comment:

NYC and Savannah Gal said...

Trish, you are so talented. I learned a lot from you while taking this class. Your suggestions made such a difference to my writing pieces. Like "Change of A Dress." Great topic and ideas communicated eloquently. I told my husband about your title for this piece and he really loved the clever play on words.
Look foward to seeing you at the reunion. I'll send you an email soon.